Tiny homes and minimalist living is becoming popular these days. But if you are into this kind of lifestyle, you have to learn how to maximize the small space you have at your home.
This is why a lot of people who are into a minimalist lifestyle are looking into different styles and designs of murphy beds. Murphy beds are one of the most popular ways to save up on space.
Now, let’s discuss how you can save space with murphy beds and how to style them.
What is a Murphy Bed?
Murphy beds are unconventional furniture that is designed to fold up and hide into a wall. If you are not resting or sleeping, you can just tuck it away and enjoy more space in your tiny house or apartment.
In this modern-day, murphy beds have evolved into a multi-functional piece of furniture that can easily blend into your unique style. Here are some popular reasons why it has become famous:
1. Design – Murphy beds have become safer, affordable and more functional these days. The quality of murphy beds have improved compared to the ones from the earlier days. You can customize it; however, you want to fit your lifestyle and living space.
2. Open Space – Choosing a murphy bed over a traditional bed will create more open space for your home. A traditional bed can take up a significant section of any room. Having a murphy bed that you can just easily fold away would surely give you extra space that you can use.
3. Multi-functional room – Murphy beds, will enable you to have different purposes for a room. You can put it in your guest room that usually remains unused for a long time.
Choosing the Best Murphy Bed
The first thing you should consider is how much space you have. You need to measure it to make sure that your murphy bed will surely fit. There are some instances where people forget to acknowledge the murphy bed measurements when it is unfolded to use.
There are major types of murphy beds, the freestanding and the wall-mounted type. The wall-mounted type needs to be attached to the wall and floor. It requires some handiwork for the installation. This makes it more sturdy compared to the freestanding murphy beds.
Murphy beds come in different sizes. You can even get a king-size Murphy bed if you have a space for it. It can transform any room into a multi-functional space. Here are some things you should ask yourself when choosing the size of your murphy bed.
- Who is going to use it?
- How often are you going to use it?
- How much space do you need to have a comfortable sleep?
Twin – This is perfect for children. Kids do not need too much space to sleep comfortably, and it would not take up a lot of floor space as well. This size is also recommended for one adult with a small home or office.
Queen Size: This is the perfect size of a murphy bed for two adults. We recommend this size if you plan to sleep on it every night.
Bunk Beds: A lot of people do not know that there are murphy beds that can be turned into bunk beds. This is perfect for anyone with limited space.
King: Yes, there are king-sized murphy beds that you can purchase. These beds can support up to 900 kilos.
Popular Styles of Murphy Beds
There are many murphy bed styles, function and designs available for everyone. But there are some types that are more favored than the others, and here they are:
The Bookcase Type: A murphy bed that can be turned into a bookcase is a popular choice for people who love books or students. Bookcase beds can support up to 200lbs.
The Sofa Type: This kind of murphy bed turns into a sofa when folded. This type of murphy bed is perfect for your entertainment room or living room.
The Cabinet Type: This type of murphy bed is perfect for a room that functions as a den, living room, guest room or entertainment room.